Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Mulling Over Music

        When you listen to music, what feelings/emotions does it evoke?
It depends on the type of music I'm listening to. I usually reflect the type of emotions that are exhibited in my music. This only differs with certain songs that remind me of memories. I listen to music a lot, so if an event or something happened while I was listening to a specific song, I will often tie that song to that memory, and basically relive that moment.
         How has your taste in music changed over the years?
My taste in music has altered drastically as my life has continued onward. During my childhood, my dad was the biggest influence on my musical tastes. We often listened to several 80s rock bands such as Judas Priest, AC/DC, Ozzy Osbourne, Motley Crue, and others. Around the time I started middle school, I began to deviate from the 80s style rock music. I migrated to alternative punk rock bands like Paramore and Green Day. In 7th-8th grade, I was introduced by one of my best friends to Eminem. From 8th grade to the end of my freshman year, I listened to almost exclusively Eminem. Then, in sophomore year, I found Mumford & Sons. I enjoyed this peculiar duo for all of sophomore year. Junior year is when I really started to branch out in music. I found several channels on YouTube that upload certain genres of music daily. Through these channels, I discovered a love for electronic music. Along with this, I took a liking to video game and movie soundtracks, and other rappers besides Eminem. Now, in my senior year, I come upon a new song every day. I crave them, and I'm always delighted to listen to a new song. Whether I like it or hate it, I never know what I'm going to get.
        Do your friends listen to the same styles of music as you? What do you think this means? 
Yes, my friends and I enjoy similar genres of music. Not completely, however. Some of us halfheartedly disdain each other for certain artists or genres. For most of my friends, we share alike tastes. I'm not entirely sure what it means to have friends who listen to the same type of music. Having similar tastes does help you bond better with your friends. I have met some of my greatest friends in certain situations where if music wasn't there, we might've not become so close. 
        Without music, my life would be...
Boring, lifeless, apathetic, dull. Without music, my life would be mute. Music accentuates my moods, my life, and losing such a motivational force would be detrimental to not only me and my life, but others' as well.
        What does music do for you that nothing else can?
Music picks me up. It grabs me off the ground, slaps me in the face, and says, "You can do this." It's a motivator, and it works like nothing else can. 


Some of my favorite songs:
Raindancer by Big Giant Circles
Let It Be by Blackmill
Cocoa Butter Kisses by Chance the Rapper
Everything's Good by Chance the Rapper
Time (Queensway Remix) by Chase and Status
Telegraph Ave ("Oakland" by Lloyd) by Childish Gambino
We All Become by Darren Korb
Hailie's Song by Eminem
 Not Afraid by Eminem
We Can Be Ghosts Now by Hiatus
On Top of the World by Imagine Dragons
Rescue Me by Insan3Lik3
Everything's Alright by Laura Shigihara
The Boxer by Mumford & Sons
The Cave by Mumford & Sons
Exile Vilify by The National
Afraid by The Neighbourhood
Take a Walk by Passion Pit
Witchcraft by Pendulum
Under the Bridge by The Red Hot Chili Peppers
King of Anything by Sara Bareilles
Save the World by Swedish House Mafia
Truth by Tristam
Waking Dreams by TwoThirds
Harmony by Vicetone 

1 comment:

  1. I feel so clueless looking at your playlist and only recognizing about a third of the artists! I wonder if Blackmill's "Let it Be" is a cover of the Beatles song of the same name? It's one of my all-time favorites.

    ReplyDelete