Thursday, November 13, 2014

Where the Wild Things Are

Where the Wild Things Are
by Maurice Sendak
40 pages.
No author's biography provided.

The cover of Where the Wild Things Are shows a monster sleeping peacefully in a forest, next to a sailboat in a body of water.

The characters of Where the Wild Things include: Max, Max's mother, and the wild things.

Max's bedroom is the setting in this book, but it changes as Max's imagination grows a forest in his bedroom.

Summary:
One day, a young, mischievous boy named Max is sent to bed early without supper for causing trouble in his wolf suit. His bedroom morphs into a forest, and Max sails an entire ocean. He lands where the wild things are, and becomes the wild things' king,
but shortly returns home to find his supper waiting for him, still warm.

Does this book...

have animals as characters? yes
use rhyme? no
teach a lesson of some kind? yes
have monsters or creatures? yes
have adults as characters? yes
use humor? yes
have illustrations? yes
use color? yes
use actual photos? no
have a more sentimental/lovey tone? yes
lots of words per page? no
one word or phrase repeated throughout? yes

My favorite sentence from this book is: "And Max the king of all wild things was lonely and wanted to be where someone loved him best of all."

I think this book is appropriate for ages 3 and up. The only limiting factor for the younger side of the age spectrum is the scariness of the wild things. I think this book could be read at any age, I still love it as a 17 year old.

Even though I'm 17 now, I loved this book as a kid. I think I loved it so much because of the ending. Instead of maintaining his regal status as a king, Max sails back to his home, knowing where he is loved.

1 comment:

  1. I like this book and also liked what Spike Jonze did with it as a film a few years ago. The movie acknowledges some of the sadness and darkness kids feel, even in the midst of wild imaginings. The lines "Please don't go. I'll eat you up. I love you so" make me think of my son growing up and moving away.

    ReplyDelete