Friday, September 19, 2014

A Foreign Country & It's Executioner

        The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. Extremely differently, in fact. In the past, things were kosher, calm. Now, they are calamitous, ruinous. Conspicuously to me, this entire thing was my fault. Some nights I try to reason that I had no control, how was anyone, no matter how trained or how qualified, expected to succeed? The incredible amount of audacity to hinge the world onto one person, and the colossal amount of pressure on that operative. Why would one even take such a risk, let alone an entire organization? Evidently, none of that matters anymore. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7d/Ministry_of_Defence.png
        I first began my work as an undercover agent in Russia in the year 2017. My mission was to scout Russia as an emissary under the United Kingdom Special Forces (UKSF), particularly their plans regarding nuclear weapons, alliances, and their relationship with China. I achieved successful infiltration on the day of December 3rd, 2018.
        I reported my findings back to the UKSF weekly, keeping notes, data, and recording various conversations. Work was going well. Then, on November 16th, 2019, I received a phone call from the head commander of the UKSF. He informs me he had an extremely special, high priority operation that I had to carry out. It meant the difference between Russia being angry with nuclear weapons, and Russia being angry without nuclear weapons. I was to hack into the Russian nuclear weapons mainframe located hundreds of miles from nowhere in Siberia, and re-encrypt their launching code to make it inaccessible to the Russians, at least for enough time for the UKSF to launch an immediate surprise attack and take them out quickly and effectively. This meant war with Russia and their allies. I understood my previous mission completely now. This plan had been in the works for years upon years, a collaboration between the UKSF and dozens of other countries who see Russia as a major nuclear threat, having defeated the United States in the Nuclear Race of 2016. Russia became the country with the most nuclear warheads, and the gap has only been widening between them and the U.S. for a decade. Knowing the difficulty and weight of this task, I began to felt the pressure immediately after the phone call ended.
        The plan seemed risky. The only variable in the plan was me. I just had to not screw up hacking into one of the most secure, sophisticated security systems, disarming a colossal amount of nuclear warheads, and making it out in one piece. Easy, right?
        Unfortunately, not so easy, as it turned out. While I was encrypting the code, I was caught by a guard. He did not follow the patrol patterns that the CIA had given me. For one reason or another, he didn’t shoot me immediately. Instead, he opted to fight me in hand-to-hand combat. The struggle became loud, and just as I was about to finish him off, other guards came in and detained me. I was imprisoned, interrogated, and tortured for days upon days. I didn’t give up a thing. However, my code did. The computer scientists that had been analyzing my code had finally figured out its purpose. Russia’s government was informed. Panic ensued as the rest of the world was scared for their lives. Russia fired the first warhead at the United Kingdom.
Boom.
London explodes, fire rains upon the city, and everything is utterly annihilated. The response from the British government is panicked and unreasonable, they send what’s left of their nuclear arsenal straight towards Russia. Russia replies, and so does the rest of the world. Global thermonuclear war had broken out. It ended exactly how you’d think it would; every country wholly decimated, nearly government exterminated, almost every citizen wiped out. It turns out I was a flop, a failure, a fanatical debacle. One world power remained on the planet: China. They took full advantage of the situation, and soon they controlled virtually the entire world. Orwellian society and all that. As I lived out my days in the Russian lab, I began to plot an uprising. I would not fail again. I will retake this planet that I have destroyed. I may have started it, but I'm sure as hell going to end it.
Columbus too thought he was a flop, probably, when they sent him back in chains. Which didn't prove there was no America.

1 comment:

  1. I am so impressed that you can think of these kinds of things and write about them with such clarity and confidence--I am just not gifted in fiction myself, especially of this variety. This could be a spoken prologue to a film, I think, the opening scenes...then the movie could be about the character tries to "retake this planet that I have destroyed." Why don't you get to work on a screenplay? : )

    ReplyDelete